Dean :
Dr. Shan-Young, Huang

Tel :
( 02 ) 906 - 2970

Introduction to the College of Liberal Arts

The history of the College of Liberal Arts started in 1923 with the establishment of the Fu Jen Academy at the scenic spot of Siangshan mountain, in West of Beijing, under the direction and initiative of Mr. Ying Lien-chih. The aim of the Academy was to develop Chinese culture to a greater depth and to educate young Chinese intellectuals in traditional Chinese spiritual heritage. In 1925, the Holy See entrusted the Benedictine Fathers and Brothers to the task of carrying on the entire plan for the establishment of Fu Jen University. Mr. Ying was appointed to take the leading role in the preparatory work of the project. Unfortunately, he died of exhaustion in 1926, but the spirit of academic endeavor did not pass away with his death; instead, it took a new start in the direction of teaching and learning.

With the reestablishment of Fu Jen Catholic University in Taiwan in 1961, the Graduate Institute of Philosophy was set up in the College of Liberal Arts. In August of 1961, the College started with the Departments of Chinese Literature, History, and Philosophy. In 1967, two new graduate institutes-History and Chinese Literature-were added to the College.

From the beginning of the reestablishment of the University, the Chinese Diocesan clergy has been in charge of the College of Liberal Arts. Following the steps of their predecessors, the Chinese clergy strove to keep the old academic spirit growing and to develop simultaneously new trends and insights to bring the academic standard up to international level. Thus, in 1969 the Department of Physical Education and in the following year the Department of Library Science were opened. The Doctoral Course began with the Graduate Institute of Philosophy in 1969. In 1971 the College erected a new building to house the department of Mass Communication (1971) and Educational Psychology (1972), whose name was changed to Department of Applied Psychology in 1978.

In 1983, the Graduate Institute of Mass Communication was added, and in 1991, the Dotoral Program of Chinese Literature. In order to meet the needs of the graduate schools of the College, a four-story building was opened in 1978.The Graduate Institute of Library and Information Science was added to the College in 1994.

Graduate Institute of Philosophy
Graduate Institute of Applied Psychology
Graduate Institute of Library and Information Science
Graduate Institute of Chinese Literature
Graduate Institute of History
Graduate Institute of Mass Communication

Department of Chinese Literature
Department of History
Department of Philosophy
Department of Library and Information Science
Department of Applied Psychology
Department of Communication Arts
Department of Journalism and Communication Studies
Department of Advertising and Public Relations
Department of Physical Education