Fu Jen Catholic University was established by the Holy See in Beijing in 1925, and
entrusted to the Benedictine Fathers of St. Vincent's Archabbey in Latrobe,
Pennsylvania, USA. It was opened as a single college under the name of Fu Jen
Academy with Ying Lien-Chih as director. In 1926 Chen Yuan became director,
formed a Board of Trustees, and changed the name to Fu Jen Catholic University. The
Board of Trustees appointed Fr. O'Toole as President and Chen Yuan as Vice President.
In 1927, the Ministry of Education officially recognized Fu Jen as a University.
By 1929 the University had already expanded to three colleges--Liberal Arts,
Natural Sciences and Education, totaling twelve departments, with Chen Yuan as
With the world-wide economic depression of the 1930's, Fu Jen became too
great a financial strain on the Benedictine Order so that in 1933 the Holy See requested
the Society of the Divine Word to take charge of the University. In 1937, a research
center for typhus serum and two graduate schools--Chinese Literature and History--
Even after the Marco Polo Bridge incident, the invasion of Northern China and
the occupation of Beijing by the Japanese, the international character of Fu Jen
University saved it from a Japanese take over. With the deterioration of the relations
between Japan and the U.S., the American members of the faculty left in 1941 and were
replaced by German nationals, thus allowing Fu Jen to continue its work undisturbed.
At the end of the war with Japan, the Ministry of Education gave an award to Fu Jen for
its efforts during war time and granted official status without further screening to the
alumni who had been graduated during the occupation. In 1946, the College of
Agriculture was added. In 1949, the Communists invaded Beijing and took over the
University in 1950. In 1951, the University was confiscated and annexed to the
Normal Beijing University, thus putting a stop to all further development of Fu Jen
In 1956, Fu Jen Alumni Association proposed the re-opening of
Fu Jen Catholic University in Taiwan. In 1959, Pope John XXIII asked the then
Archbishop Yu Pin to begin work for the reestablishment of the University and then
appointed him to be its first President. In 1960, President Yu organized a Board of
Trustees, and Cardinal Thomas Tien was elected as the Chair of the Board of Trustees.
In April 1960, the Ministry of Education granted permission to restore Fu Jen in
In 1961, the Graduate Institute of Philosophy was opened at Chi-Lin Road in Taipei.
In 1963, the University purchased 30 acres of land in Hsinchuang, Taipei County, to
serve as the main campus. The same year the University was granted a share of the
successful candidates of the University Entrance Examinations and received the first
freshmen of the Colleges of Liberal Arts, Science and Engineering, and Law.
In 1967, Madame Chiang Kai-Shek was elected Chair of the Board of
Trustees. In 1978, Cardinal Yu Pin resigned as President but was appointed
superintendent of the University, and Archbishop Stanislaus Lokuang succeeded him.
In 1992, Archbishop Stanislaus Lokuang resigned and was conferred with the
honorable title " Rector Emeritus " of Fu Jen Catholic University. Archbishop Joseph Ti
Kang was appointed Chancellor of the University, and Monsignor Gabriel Chen Ying Ly
was inaugurated as President. In February 1992, Madame Chiang Kai-Shek resigned as
Chair of the board of Trustees but was conferred with the honorable title " Chair
Emeritus, " and Archbishop Paul Shan was elected to succeed her as the Chair. In July
1993, Archbishop Ti Kang was elected the Chair of the Board of Trustees. In February
1996, Monsignor Gabriel Chen Ying Ly completed his four-year tenure of office and
Professor Tuen-Ho Yang was elected to succeed him as the President. Since its
reestablishment in Taiwan, the University has grown and developed rapidly, making
progress in both quality and quantity.
At present, Fu Jen has a day and an evening division. The day division
consists of 8 colleges: Liberal Arts, Arts, Medicine, Science and Engineering, Foreign
Languages, Human Ecology, Law, and Management, and 40 departments. Currently,
we have 6 Ph. D. programs and 27 master's programs. The evening division has 14
departments. The total enrollment is nearly 18,000 students. More than 50.000 students
have graduated from Fu Jen since its re-opening in Taiwan.
The University is well known for the quality of its education and for
fostering the faculty's intellectual vitality by means of a well balanced division of labor
between research and teaching, and between general education and specialist training.
Currently, the faculty consists of more than 250 professors, more than 600 associate
professons and about 1000 lecturers, and more than 70 specialists in various fields, with
the majority enjoying full-time status.
Fu Jen is jointly administered by three constituent groups: the Chinese
Bishop Conference, the Society of the Divine Word, and the Society of Jesus. The
Chinese Bishop Conference is in charge of the colleges of Liberal Arts, the Arts, and
Medicine; the Society of Divine Word, the Colleges of Foreign Languages, Science and
Engineering, and Human Ecology; and the Society of Jesus, the colleges of Law and